31 March 2009

Monies: the secret word for colleges and universities

"If you are a student of means or ability, or both, there has never been a better year [to apply]" Robert A. Sevier, enrollment consultant to colleges, NY Times.
Great news! If you can afford to go to college or university, go! If you can't afford to go without assistance, well, lets see how many spots are open after we fill them with everyone richer than you.

What the hell? The only reason I was able to go to my alma mater is because my hard work in high school got me a scholarship, and because there was no way my mom was going to be able to help me much.

According to this article, if I were to try to go to school now, I'd be over looked in favor of the person who can whip out his check book and cover tuition in full.

Education, no matter if it is high school or higher ed, should not be a business. The purpose of education is to prepare you to work in the real world, where businesses rule, money is king, and the bottom line is God.

I second many of the comments made in response to this article: There has to be some kind of education reform. This society already marginalizes the poor and underclass. Higher education is damn near the only way to over come these limitations, and it is already cost prohibitive to go, and just getting more so as time goes on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What necessary phrase... super, magnificent idea