03 July 2008

Caveats and fancy promise side stepping

I was afraid this is what would happen if he won the Democratic party nomination.

Throughout this campaign, Obama made tall order promises I was certain he wouldn't be able to fulfill or, in the case of article linked to this post (or this one), would seek to find ways out of ("what I meant when I said that was...").

I'm not telling those who voted for him I told you so, but I will remind you of what he said:

"[Obama] repeatedly said voters should demand a clear plan on how to end the war from all the Democratic candidates. On Sunday afternoon, he flew to his hometown of Chicago for a boisterous rally attended by more than 8,000 people at the University of Illinois-Chicago, where he once taught.

'The time has come for us to end this engagement in Iraq,' he said, saying he was proud he had been "consistent and constant" in his Iraq message" (Washington Post, Feb. 2007).

Now it's,

"[The] United States cannot sustain a long-term military presence in Iraq, but [Obama] added he would be open to “refine [his] policies” about a timeline for withdrawing troops" (New York Times, July 2008).

Oh I give up.


I told you so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading! What extremely awesome English major job did you get? Hopefully it has nothing to do with trashcans! I only kid.

Anonymous said...

Nice! I was a writing consultant in college, and absolutely loved it. There's a certain charisma in a writing center. And I used to dust library books as a part-time job in college..so shelving sounds like a step up to me :) But you're right...a writing center is the English major's dream. Congrats!