10 July 2009

Illegal immigrants and the Dream Act: Where's the fairness in that?

Despite the overwhelmingly liberal swing of my blogging, there is one topic I have avoided discussing, both here and in conversations with friends and coworkers.

However, when it comes to the matter of immigration and illegal aliens in the United States, I can be counted as a conservative.

I ask you however, what is so conservative about wanting to know who is entering your borders? Or wanting the strict laws and procedures that we citizens have to follow, applied equally to those who have no right to be here?

Laws and procedures such as paying taxes, driving with proper and up-to-date licenses and insurance, etc.

What is so conservative about wanting the rewards from following those laws to go to citizens and not to those who have put nothing into the system?

And yet, the same people who break these laws, want us--citizens of this great nation--to feel obligated (and dare I say guilty) to bend over backward to make life easier for their undocumented illegal alien lives.

Well screw you I say. When an illegal immigrant has the gall to tell me that the Dream Act should be passed so he or she can go to college and dare to live a better life in a country that is not theirs, I want to laugh.

Why should they have that right when millions of American Citizens don't have that chance?

Where is the Dream Act for poor, at risk American children?

Where is the Dream Act for American college and masters graduates who did nothing more than follow their dreams, but now find themselves saddled with overwhelming debt to private loan corporations?

Why, I ask you, do illegal, undocumented aliens deserve a better chance in this country than this countries own citizens?

My answer: They don't. Call me a conservative, but I believe in tougher immigration bills and stiff punishments for those who think they can buck the system to do what they want, and then expect someone else to pay for them.

1 comment:

Caspur said...

Not to be contrary. I am still looking for official details, but as far as the Dream Act part of your argument goes so far I have to disagree.
What the bill would allow is children of Illegal immigrants, those who came with their parents, who decide to do something with their lives and be productive citizens will be able to have 6 years temporary legal status. Also states will be able to choose whether or not they charge in or out of state tuition to illegal immigrants (giving power back to the states.)
These are not the illegal criminal elemant, their only crime, would be that they came with their parents to the United States. Still looking up more details and imagine if it has not changed already it may not be exactly the same as it is now.