28 September 2008

Atlantic.com: Empathy for Sarah Palin?

This article on the Atlantic.com by Ta-Nehisi Coates is something that I have been thinking and feeling for some time now (hat-tip J'myle!).

The comments below come from many camps—some who found themselves identifying and feeling sorry for Sarah Palin and others who said she brought it on herself and deserved no pity.

There is one comment I find myself struggling with, and that is, that since she [Sarah Palin] knows she is so far out of her league, she should tell McCain that she can not run as his VP. Easy as that.

Except not. Should she have said no from the get go? Hell yes. But how many times have we not said no to something, the found ourselves in some nearly impossible situation from which we saw no out?

If she says "No more VP" to McCain now, that will bring all sorts of trouble for her and for him. He will have to find another running mate (not an easy search), the GOP party will seem to be in disarray and uncoordinated, and mismanaged (not saying they aren't but they are trying to put on a good face) and that could be enough to cost them the election.

If that we to happen, guess who all of GOP America would blame? None other than Governor Sarah Palin. She could never run for public office again, and her "betrayal" of the party would be (likely) unforgivable.

She's stuck, as so many of us find ourselves to be in situations that are out of our control: Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So yeah, I feel bad for her. Not as a politician, but as a suffering human being.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One part of me feels sorry for her as a person, but the other side of me is excited for Thursday's debate entertainment when Sarah Palin will probably have to look at her beauty pageant notes for any sort of hope of saving face.

Eric said...

I agree. My anger has never been with her, but with McCain. I think I would be hard pressed to turn down VP if I was offered it. Am I qualified? No.

I still dislike her immensely though.