09 October 2008

Black Republicans are real?

I thought people like Richard Ivory and Tiffany Shorter were a myth. But, according the New York Times article, Young, Black and Republican in New York, there really are people like them are real.

Maybe I should rethink my position on Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, and the Loc ness Monster.

Seriously though. I'm all for the separation of race and party affiliation. I've only been bitching about my struggles this presidential season. If I didn't believe in the freedom of choice, I'd be one of "those" voters. The ones who never look beyond party labels to the substance (or lack there of) beneath.

But being Black and labeling yourself a Republican? That's hard to swallow, even for me.

The GOP has never supported minorities they way Democrats have. They have been more homogeneous and self-serving than Democrats or any other "party" in our system. Who jumped aboard the civil rights movement? Who has tried to provide equality and opportunity to the underprivileged?

Minimum wage increases, paid maternal leave for parents, affordable health care, worker rights/protections, etc., etc. etc.

Democrats.

Still, I'm not one of those ignorant friends they talked about having. If I were friends with them, I'd continue being friends with them.

We just wouldn't talk politics. Ever.

3 comments:

Eric said...

I was at Barnes and Noble in NYC the other day. "The Dog Whisperer" Cesar Milan was there doing a signing, so it was hectic and certain shelves were off limits. (By the way, I have seen Cesar like four times since I've lived here, its like the fool is stalking me). I was waiting to buy a book on foreign policy and Israel that I heard was important to both sides of the issue. A young Black man was also waiting for a book. He started talking to me while a clerk fetched them for us and we made fun of Cesar together. Than the clerk came back with his book, and it was one of those quickly written pro McCain books.

I get your shock. I also met a gay Indian refugee republican at a party once. blows your mind.

Anyway, I think the thing that would keep me from being friends with these two is that they run a blog called HipHopRepublican. Too lame for me to get passed. I would laugh all day. Work wouldn't get done. It would be bad.

Eric said...

the last comment was in jest by the way. But I do wonder, who has that many myspace friends that they could lose 100 just like that?

DvntWriter said...

People who have far too much time on their hands for one. People who don't have any real close friendships, just those superficial encounters we call acquaintances.

People who are Republicans.