12 October 2008

Kids these days

Seriously, what is up with kids these days?

I look at people in my own generation and those coming after, and all I see are a bunch of privileged, egotistical, self-righteous, elitist, demanding, lazy (need I continue?)...babies!

According to this New York Times article, kids are "panicked, uncertain, and grossed out that their parents can no longer afford to buy them everything their little hearts desire."

Seriously, I think I'm going to be sick.

I grew up on the phrase, "you want to eat don't you? You want to keep a roof over your head don't you?" I grew up with the knowledge that sacrifices must be made for survival and future prosperity.

And no, not having iPods, new phones, designer clothes, the latest and greatest gaming systems, personal accessories, cars, and $100 allowances to just get good grades and not bug mommy and daddy aren't sacrifices.

These are what (White) upper middle class America calls a sacrifice.

No wonder the USA is falling behind the rest of the developed world in every measurable sense— technology, education, innovation, sciences, etc.

If we can't understand that there are more important things than these stale and worthless materialistic items, perhaps we deserve our fate.

I'm going to go practice my Chinese now. At this rate, "made in China" will mean "made in Chinese territory, formerly, the USA."

3 comments:

Eric said...

I read the article too. My experiences have been that those who typically make up McDaniel (upper middle) are more entitled than those that do the ivy league. Don't get me wrong, Columbia folks are spoiled, but theyre more aware of it. McDaniel folks aren't so.

Steve Robinson said...

You are wise, Grasshopper. I've tried employing "kids" for the last 15-20 years and it is extremely rare to find one that knows how to actually work, take initiative, think, pay attention to what they are doing and don't have to be retrained every morning. sigh... I'm glad I'm going to be dead by the time they take over the governance of this country.

DvntWriter said...

Were I so lucky to be so as well. Unfortunately, I'll be alive. Kicking and screaming about how they are all screwing it up. The more I think about it, the more I realize I just need to purchase a little island so I can hide away from all the madness...