08 May 2008

Reality Check

Look, I know she isn't going to win.

I knew it from day one. I am not saying this now hoping to "save face" for picking the looser. I held out hope that maybe, just maybe, the American psyche was up to the task. I was wrong.

I do not think it was a matter of gender or race that lost the campaign (although both played a part). I do not think that the media's choosing a favorite so early on lost the race (though it played a large part).

Hillary lost the race on her own. She could have taken the high road in arguments; she could have pointed out the clear favoritism of moderators and the media; and she could have done less reacting to comments and more constructive criticism of ALL candidates.

"But what can you expect from a women" some may say. "They're emotional, reactionary, and soft."

I ask, what else was she supposed to do? If she didn't argue back, she was uninformed and hesitant to show a backbone. If she did argue back (which she did), she was seen as "trying to have more balls than a man."

If she hadn't pointed out the unashamed favoritism of debate moderators and public media, the (less informed and aware) general public would have ignored it. But she did, and she was said to be whining and seeking sympathy "because she couldn't take the heat."

If she had spent more time doing what she does best, and putting her "best foot forward," instead of constantly reiterating the same arguments, and responding to the same attacks, and had leveled her attacks at both Democratic and Republican runners...

But what could she do? She's asked the same questions and every potential insult was relayed and a reaction asked for.

I'm not saying she's perfect - by no means. But she is better than this campaign has made her and has shown her to be.

I'll just try not to gloat too much when Obama makes Presidency and is miserable at it.

Really. I'll try.

No comments: